Monday, July 25, 2005

talking about Pedestrian Culture to John and Jane Citizen

A good question from the Pedestrian Culture listserv, from L.A. walker Lisa Salem. Any thoughts?:

I'd really like to generate a dialogue here for exploring ways of talking about the ideas and issues within 'pedestrian culture' (inc. psychogeography, derive, acoustic ecology, land art etc...) that aren't alienating, overly academic or cerebral. I'm interested in communicating with the 'average person on the street' (if there is such a thing) about these ideas but am at a bit of a loss as to how to do it without being written off as 'arty' or bourgeois/academic.

I want to converse with a broad spectrum of the public but that necessitates knowing how to present these ideas in the first place in a relatable, inspiring and non-alienating way.

It seems to me that these are the wrong fields to be confined to the worlds of art and academia as they are so fundamentally about being human and living in (our) society. And yet when I try to touch on the issues with people outside of these circles, I often get a glazed look.

I was wondering if this spawned any thoughts for any of you? I'd love to explore and experiment with this topic in this forum. Also, perhaps there is some reading that I have missed that would help?

No comments: