Wednesday, July 06, 2005

One way to get around L.A.

"What possessed [Lisa] Salem to embark on a trek, in the summer no less, that will take her from North Hollywood to Pacific Palisades, south to Watts and Los Angeles International Airport, and eastward to South Pasadena and Alhambra? 'The idea percolated over a three-year period,' she says between sips of iced coffee. 'We're all living such different experiences of this town, and yet when we say Los Angeles we tend to presume that we're talking about the same thing. What would happen if I walked through all the different neighborhoods? Would I get a better sense of where I live? What would I see that I don't normally see? I think I know this place fairly well, but how well do I really know it and what would be revealed to me if I approached it from this absurd kind of place?I like the idea of doing something absurd, passionately. To me that's poetic, but you have to find a roundabout way to access that kind of poetic feeling, especially in L.A.'"

Hart, Hugh. "One way to get around L.A. and still beat traffic: Lisa Salem is covering the city by foot while recording her experiences on a blog." Los Angeles Times, 6 July 2005.

No comments: